Book: The Mistletoe Pact by Jo Lovett


Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Adult Fiction, Holiday


Date of Publication: October 01, 2021

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review.

I finished this book in one sitting. Before I continue, this is what this book is about:

Two single thirty-year-olds. One marriage pact. And a night in Vegas that’s about to change everything…

On Christmas Eve eight years ago Evie and Dan made a pact: if they weren’t married by thirty, they were going to marry each other. Of course, neither of them took it seriously, even if Dan has always been mesmerized by Evie’s beautiful smile, and Evie has always fancied Dan, her best-friend’s brother.

But then “it” happens. They wake up on Christmas Eve, the night before Evie’s thirtieth birthday in Vegas… married. In a honeymoon suite filled with hundreds of heart-shaped pillows, they realize too late what they’ve done – just like Ross and Rachel.

Surely if they just get a quickie divorce, they can go back to the way things used to be, right? If it wasn’t for the alcohol and Susan-with-the-huge-beehive-hairdo who just wouldn’t take no for an answer, none of this would have happened. They can just go back to being friends.

Except moving on is easier said than done when you’ve secretly loved each other forever… but if one of them doesn’t admit that, what happens to their friendship? If they don’t get together this time, what happens to the pact? Are they really ready to let it go for good? Goodreads

Sounds exciting, right? Well, the beginning was exciting. Our two protagonist; Evie and Dan, woke up in bed together after their spur of drunkenness wedding at Vegas. I was excited to read what will happen next. I mean I am a fan of romantic comedies, I was hoping for something similar and cliché as the ones I am guilt watching. Sadly, I was let down.

I was expecting some holiday related cheesy, clichés and such. What this book gave me was some subplots about our two protagonists and their families and a little bit of them looking and touching each other.

The chapters alternate between Evie and Dan’s POV with flashback about some of their uhhh… flirting moments in the past. To be honest, I don’t really care about their past together since what they have has been established already in the early chapters. I was hoping to read more of what will happen next after their wedding in Vegas! But, I was given flashback instead. I thought that it will only happen once since the first flashback is about them making the Mistletoe Pact. But I was not expecting the other ones. To me it is unnecessary and I hope the author focused on the present instead of jumping back and forth.

As for the subplots, it was fine since those topics gave me an idea why Dan and Evie act or decide things the way they do. But, again, I wish there are more interactions between the two of them. It happened eventually, around, I guess the last 20% of the book. The other 80% of the book focused more on their issues with their families and more flashbacks.

The ending was as expected. At least it didn’t happen abruptly unlike that previous book I reviewed.

Now, let us talk about the characters but I am only going to focus on out protagonist, okay? Good.

Dan was a meh character for me. I mean he is Dan but there is nothing memorable about him at all.

As for Evie, I liked her at first then I grew tired of her. She wants to be in a long-term relationship since she doesn’t want to end up like her mom, a single parent and usually dating different guys. The funny thing is Evie had, at least in my opinion, two decent relationships. But she couldn’t commit to those two guys because she can’t stop thinking about Dan. If she can’t stop thinking about Dan, why bother dating those guys and leading them on? And when Dan, “rejected” her, she went and jumped back to her ex that easily, without waiting for Dan to explain himself further, preferable face to face. It was just annoying. Why not talk? Is talking about things that hard?

That is one thing consistent about this book, lack of communication. I understand that it is hard to talk to a person you hate but seriously, even them, talking to people close to them is hard for our two protagonist.

Also, one thing that really disappointed me was the lack of holiday spirit. It is one of the reasons why I requested this book in the first place. I want more holiday spirit! I want a Christmas romance.

Overall, I gave this book a 2 out of 5 stars. I am feeling generous. This is an easy read and despite some minor things I hate, the story is overall entertaining. At least it didn’t made me cringe. If you want something easy read, give this one a try. Don’t expect too much holiday stuff though.


That is it! Thank you so much for reading!

I am going back to work now and hopefully, start reading from my Fall TBR.

Have a good weekend!